Wednesday 28 May 2014

Preparations continue

We started the week as we hope to go on - with cake! Not just any old cake you understand. This was a birthday celebration cake for my mom who's reached the age of 86. Despite all that fruit and a fat free sponge, I doubt that this counts as one of your five a day!



It was just a Swiss roll recipe for the sponge, layered with sweetened double cream, raspberries, blueberries and topped with strawberries. Delicious taste of summer! We enjoyed a lovely barbecue curtesy of Jamie and Laura even though the weather wasn't glorious. There was also trampolining which was probably unwise after all the food we managed to eat. Luckily I have no photographic evidence so you'll just have to take my word for it that I was very athletic! I could barely move the next morning! When I emailed my younger daughter to tell her about the day, spellcheck changed trampolining to trampling - not at all the same thing and certainly not suitable for great grandma's party!

It's not all jollies - after the party the work must go on. The second batch of pincushions are complete and ready to be packed away for our stand at Festival of Quilts in August. I'm really enjoying the digital embroidery on my Husqvarna machine!


This one here at the front of the picture is a dragonfly embroidered onto a mono print I made a while ago. I confess I love this one! It's great fun working onto previously quilted, dyed and printed fabrics - I'm aiming to have masses of these for my display with no two the same!


I've also added to the larger panels I'm going to display. This one is called Quill and is a mono print with photo image transfer. I've free motion quilted it and added a bit of  pastel in the foreground.


The excitement continues - my gouache and Indian ink crow is back from Jamie at the printers. I LOVE it and am  excited to start quilting. There is a bit of a queue for the long arm machine so I'll have to be patient but I'll let you see it as soon as progress is made!

Thanks for dropping by - Love Linda



5 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! I feel like I have wandered into Aladdin's Cave of Wonders. So inspiring. Thank you for sharing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Glenda - glad you enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a cake! Happy Birthday to your Mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is yummy, but that cake.......! Nomnomnomnom

    ReplyDelete